ZHANG Rui was born on July 13, 1920 in Kunming, Yunnan province and passed away of illness on June 9, 2016 in Nanjing. In 1937, he was admitted to the Kunming Arts School to learn the fine arts and music. On September 28, 1938, due to the invasion of the Japanese, he reflected this on his maiden work “928” and spread quickly among the Kunming residents. In 1941, he was admitted to the National Conservatory and learned the erhu under CHEN Zhen-duo. In 1943, he went to Shanghai and worked in the National Shanghai Music Training School as a score copier. He then learned music independently. In 1945, he left Shanghai and joined the Military Region Theatrical Troupe as a teacher for forty years service. In 1964, he and his wife YU Pin published their works of erhu in 1950s to 1960s in collection to a book called Ten Scores of Yu Fa.